Sun River Valley Historical Society was founded in 1977 with the mission of preserving the history of the valley including the four towns of Vaughn, Sun River, Fort Shaw, and Simms.
The Society recently replaced a concrete sidewalk in front of the commanding officers building with a wooden one, which is correct to the era of the historic Fort located at # 1 School Loop, at Fort Shaw. The Society received a donation of one of the first barns built in the Sun River Valley. Plans are to move the historic barn to a new location on the historic Fort complex.
Wash houses, the Regional commander’s house, the officers duplex, and the bakery building at the historic Fort are restored and open for tours.
The Society has developed a Memory Wall from an original building erected by the Bureau of Reclamation when they headquartered at the Fort in 1912. memory bricks are for sale for $140.00 This is a great way to donate to the Historical Society and leave a memory of a loved one.
The first Thursday from May through September the Fort is open and presents special speakers and building tours. Speakers present their programs at 2:00 on the First Thursdays. Grounds are open and free to the public. Several interpretive signs are on the grounds for self-guided tours as well.
The Society has published two books: A Pictorial History of The Sun River Valley, and Sun River Valley History II. They are available at the gift shop located at the Fort along with a variety of items.
The Society is funded strictly by donations. Membership is $25.00 for individuals and $200.00 lifetime memberships. September begins the new membership year.
Donations are always welcome. Check out the Society’s website: WWW.SRVHS.INFO. Mailing Address is: PO Box 155 Sun River, MT 59483
Contact President Burnette Batista at (406) 965-3025 or John Bennett at (406) 264-5647 for more information.